Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Photos of Konya

I'm starting with images of dervishes because this is first on my mind, followed by some photos of Istanbul. Plus, I'm in a fancy apartment in Kuwait using ethernet so I'm taking advantage of technology I've neither had until now nor expect to have for the next month.

Thirty-five of these dancers did Sema every night in Konya.


The youngest of the troop, an 11-year-old boy, had to take some breaks while watching the higher initiates.


After a session the group would bow and move to the outskirts. Then they would begin again.


Rumi poems hang over the streets of Konya.


I spent a lot of time inside a rug store sipping tea and looking out at this mosque. Just behind it is the museum with Rumi's tomb.


The beautiful, exceptional tomb of Mevlana.


Even more than places, it is the people along the way that make my travels special. These are my partners in crime in Konya: Manuel (R), a French anthropology student studying pilgrimages and Victor (L), an anthropology student from DC (the only other American!) studying music. Thank you both. And yes, I look possessed, but I promised Victor I'd use the shot where his eyes were open.


My Iranian partners in crime inside the Mevlana Museum on the day of his wedding. From left to right: Mohamed, Babak and Naser. The beautiful Shima and her mother had to leave a day early.


This strangely suggestive practice was first used to cure those with mental and physical problems (I took no offense that they wanted me to try it!). By placing your teeth on the end of the Turkish Saz and closing your ears you experience the most amazing surround sound with the vibration reverberating throughout your body.


Fifteen years after first learning about it, Z finally makes it to the Aya Sophia in Istanbul!


The Aya Sophia was a church for more than 900 years before it became a mosque which leads to this strange mixture of iconography. Archeologists are still working to uncover all of the amazing Christian mosaics.


After a whirlwind day of sightseeing my dear friend Dilek and I ate lunch overlooking the Bosphorous. Thank you Ahmet, Dilek and Melis for everything.

I'm headed to Iraq tomorrow for the holidays (yes, I know this sounds odd. I have more info on this coming soon) and it might be a bit before I have the technology to post photos again. Until then I'll try my best to keep you all posted. Happy Holidays!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo , ich gerade gelesen Ihr Blog arbeiten in diesem Blog und Liebe genießen Sie Hilfe finden Menschen mit große Schrift !
Gongratulation , Bye und auch frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr 2011! Sorry bad Deutsch!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home